OVAM Workshop 2011
In the spring of 2011 OVAM organised a workshop on landfill mining. This was the starting moment for OVAM to communicate its intention to develop a policy around ELFM to the world. Many representatives from industry, local government, the environmental sector, civil society and the scientific world took part in this intensive workshop.
The participants suggested that the government develop a long-term policy for the promotion of landfill mining.
- creating a legal framework for the licensing conditions, end goal;
- creating a favourable climate through knowledge management and concrete pilot projects;
- involving local authorities;
- Converting recommendations
- On the basis of the results of this workshop, complemented with a thorough exploration of national (project 'closing the circle') and international initiatives, OVAM started developing a policy in 2012 to stimulate landfill mining. This is done on a project basis and focuses on:
- conducting pilot projects;
- developing codes of good practice;
- developing a practical approach to respond to local problems in terms of the limited availability of space.